Each May, the WGI Advisory Board for each division of Winter Guard International meets in a location with the goal of voting on rule and policy proposals for the upcoming season. The meetings will take place on May 17-18 in Las Vegas, NV, where the Advisory Boards for Percussion, Winds, and Guard will all meet at Red Rock Casino Resort.
Also on the schedule for the weekend is the WGI Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and the Bob Wiles Memorial Golf Tournament.
May 10th marked the final date for submissions into this year's proposals. Each advisory board is made up of representatives from each of the finalists from Scholastic and Independent World, and representatives from the top 5 finalists in each of the other classes. International groups are allowed to vote for two years after meeting the other respective prerequisites.
WGI 2019 Advisory Board Meetings - Rule Proposals
Important Proposals To Watch For
- Proposal #7: Raises the number of Scholastic A Guards in Finals to 30
- Proposals #11 & #12: A Class groups get promoted to Open if they reach a 90
- #11: specifies A Class Guards reaching 90+ in Semifinals
- #12: specifies reaching 90+ at ANY WGI event
- Proposal #17: Remove the cap on # of performers (30) in A and Open Class groups
- Proposal #4: Assign priority values to all criteria on judging sheets
- Proposal #12: Remove age limit on Independent World Class
- Proposals #16 & 17: Regarding the triggering of vocal samples
- Proposal #20: Mandating hearing protection for all performers during warm-up and performances
- Proposal #1: Move Winds Finals from UD Arena to Nutter Center
- Proposal #11-#13: Flesh out the criteria for Winds judging sheets in Music, General Effect, and Visual